At present, I am expecting a book to form some part of the submission of the ‘Textbook Project’ for Assignment 5/Assessment. One possibility is that I do a hand-made book, bound into the original cover of the old Textbook of Photographic Chemistry, where it all began. I still have the cover, as illustrated below, though I probably wouldn’t use the paper outer sheet. My idea would be to print one of the ‘patterns’ onto a man-made/nonwoven fabric that I have sourced and create a jacket from that – but, not to get ahead of myself!
I have been doing a bit of research on design and on bookbinding. Regarding the former, it isn’t something I’ve ever studied and I don’t propose to turn myself into a graphic designer overnight, but, just to get a feel for the ‘basics, I have been reading Graphic Design School. It covers a lot of ground, in a clear, readable and (as you would hope!) visually well-presented format. It isn’t that I expect to use that much of what I’ve read, just that I wanted to have some general idea of what a designer would be thinking about. On the bookbinding side, I came across some excellent video tutorials on YouTube, here Crafty Loops Tutorials. I haven’t tried to put any of it into practice yet, but it doesn’t seem beyond ones capabilities, with a bit of care and planning. I had already figured out that these book sections, called ‘signatures’ are formed from eight folded sheets, creating 16 page faces in total. The original book had 20 of them, printed on thin book paper, of course. I’ve tried making 8 of the right size using drawing paper and I reckon that, with printed images attached, that won’t be far off filling the book – and it broadly fits with the number of images I have from the project. A final version might have photographic paper bound into it – but my plan, at this stage, is to maybe produce a mock-up that will form part of the Assignment 5 submission.
The graphic design book encourages the preparation of a planned layout of pages for brochures, booklets etc, which makes good sense. As illustrated at the top of the post, I’ve made a start. The image shows one of three A2 sheets that I’ve divided up with the correct number of properly-proportioned pages. The images stuck onto them are not in proportion to each other or the proposed book – it’s just a way of working on the sequencing. The larger images do, however, represent the points at which I would plan to insert a double page spread. Eagle eyes might spot the occasional pink ‘x’ – that’s where the signatures would join together.
That is a far as I’ve got with it at the moment – a principle to work to and a rough ‘first shot’ at a sequence. I’m going to be at the Rencontres d’Arles next week, at which there has been a competition/exhibition for mock-up books; so a good opportunity for some further research.