I have ‘finished’ making images for the Textbook Project! A bold statement – and not necessarily an accurate one; there could be more if the project seems to demand it, and I have plenty of material from which I could go further. That’s a strange aspect of this project; it need never end unless I choose to end it. But then, knowing when it’s time to stop is an important part of the process – and it’s time to stop!
Some recent additions include:
And I finally set it on fire:
… so time to stop!
I did work on one more pattern/construct, a kind of final spectacular finale …
… and I did let the sun go to work on its origin! (Fabulous title for the diagram!)
Which leads to the question – what now? The image at the top of this post shows a pile of around 80-90 prints, each circa 10cmx10cm. I produced them for the purpose of editing and sequencing and the pile includes most, though not quite all, of the images that have emerged from the project. Almost from the start, I have believed that a book should be the final outcome for this project – book deconstructed, reconstructed, reimagined, and re-formed as a new book. Editing a set of images down to those that really work, that really matter for the project – everyone knows that’s a difficult and challenging task. Letting go of some that are ‘dear’ to the maker is not easy. I have about 87 images in the set – and their importance does vary, some being part of the build up to something else, for example. But a thought has come to me about this project, and I don’t think it’s me getting ‘cold feet’ about the editing process – There might be an argument for keeping all or most of them in the book!
I did a little bit of random research amongst some photobooks on my shelves, and the typical number of ‘leaves’ (individual pages) in a decent sized book is around 80. I have begun to think of the possibility of a lengthy and potentially ‘lively’ book in which all these images appear – sometimes 2/3/4 to a page, sometimes a double-page ‘colour splash’ with full bleed that assaults the senses. I have a feeling that there is enough visual strength and enough variety in the set to make that work. Using the small prints, I have had a shot at ordering them in a way that they might be presented in such a book. This is a link to a PDF slideshow of the sequence, which I hope will ‘play’. Important to say that they appear as individual slides, all more or less the same size, whereas in book form, there would be much more variety and rhythm to the presentation; also worth saying that there are one or two towards the end that might not ‘survive’ a further edit – one at least is probably obvious. This is the link: Textbook Slideshow.
I am going to need to submit Assignment Four soon, as already reflected in relation to the Portraits. This ‘long’ edit might form part of the submission – need to reflect.